The Niagara was built quickly and launched in 1813 as a relief flagship in the Battle of Lake Erie during the War of 1812 for Commodore Oliver Perry. After much success, Perry regained control of the upper Great Lakes from the British. The Niagara was then scuttled into Presque Isle Bay in 1820 for preservation and was raised and rebuilt in 1913 to become a museum ship. She was rebuilt again in 1933 and 1988.
A Floating Museum
Today, the US Brig Niagara calls Erie, PA, home and is just yards from the Erie Maritime Museum where she serves as the flagship of the Niagara Fleet and as an exhibit of the museum. She is a Sailing School Vessel which is sailed each summer and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The ship meets modern Coast Guard regulations while maintaining the look and feel of the original vessel. At 198 feet long, she flies a US flag from the War of 1812 era, the PA state flag, and Perry's "Don't Give Up the Ship" flag.
This ornament is a wonderful keepsake to remember your visit to this historic ship and museum - and a great gift for every veteran and history buff.