Sea Girt Lighthouse, located between Barnegat and Navesink Lights, was initially known as Square Inlet Lighthouse Sea Girt Lighthouse. It was the last Atlantic Coast lighthouse built with a live-in keeper. The red brick, L-shaped Victorian structure's fourth-order Fresnel lens in the attached tower revolved and gave off a flashing red light; it was activated on December 10, 1896, with Major Wolfe as its first keeper. In 1921, it became the first shore-based light with a radio signal heard 200 miles out to sea. George Thomas became the keeper in 1931.
The light was extinguished and the lens removed when the U.S. entered WWII. The lighthouse was converted into living quarters for the Coast Guard who patrolled the beaches and manned the tower while on the lookout for U-boats. In 1955, the tower was replaced with a tower and beacon in the lawn. The lighthouse was sold to the borough of Sea Girt in 1956. Today, it is a multi-purpose center and historic attraction. The Sea Girt Lighthouse Citizens Committee Inc. was granted a lease in 1981 for a total of 75 years and has worked to restore the lighthouse to its original condition.
The Sea Girt Lighthouse Ornament is an ideal gift for any lighthouse collector. Tom Pollard Designs specializes in designing the finest gold-plated brass lighthouse ornaments.